Tuesday, June 7, 2011

MIM #12 - Beef and Blue Cheese Tart

Menu Item Monday is happening on Tuesday this week.  Yesterday was a shipping day for work and after boxing up and shipping 180 boxes, I was beat.  I think everyone can understand.
I found this recipe in June/July 2011 "Healthy Cooking" magazine.  This magazine has great recipes and is part of the Taste of Home publications.
I love reading recipes.  I read cookbooks like they were novels.  When I look at ingredients and how to make something, I can not only picture what the dish will look like but I can also imagine what it will taste like.  This one immediately grabbed my attention and when I showed it to DH, we knew we had to make it.  One item of note, leftovers were not as good so make sure you have enough people to eat it all (of course, that could have just been me since I am not a leftover eating person).

Beef & Bleu Cheese Tart - 6 servings
1/2 lb. lean ground beef (90% lean)
1-3/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 tube (13.8 oz) refrigerated pizza crust
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
3/4 cup crumbled bleu cheese
   (NOTE: We used Roquefort, remember, I also own a cheese shop, and because it is a strong blue cheese, we could have used less)

Cook beef, mushrooms and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.  Stir in salt and pepper; set aside. 
On a lightly floured surface, roll crust into a 15-in. x 12-in. rectangle.  Transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
In a small bowl, combine sour cream, Italian seasoning and garlic powder; spread over crust to within 2 in. of edges.  Spoon beef mixture over top.  Fold up edges of crust over filling, leaving the center uncovered (it will look like a rectangular framed pizza).
Bake at 425 degrees for 15-18 minutes or until crust is golden.  Using the parchment paper, slide the tart onto a wire rack (for cooling).  Sprinkle with bleu cheese; let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
Each slice equals 328 calories.
We also thought you could use ground turkey for this instead of the ground beef.

I hope you enjoy this recipe from The Tortoise's Weigh!

p.s. I am back on track and have dropped a little bit of weight since Saturday. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment